This is a work in progress. I’m building my Shopify Node Apps by following the instructions from Shopify found at this link – Shopify App with Node and React the shopify node serve command starts a local development server that uses the Ngrok service to create a secure tunnel (HTTPS) between your computer and Shopify.
Here are the steps I followed on a Windows 10 computer.
Note: the commands you need to use will depend on your OS Platform.
- My notes along the way!
- Installed Node JS = v16.13.0 (node -v)
- npm = 8.1.0 (npm -v)
- Installed via RubyInstaller for Windows with Devkit
- Ruby Command Prompt c:> gem install shopify-cli
- shopify version = 2.6.6 (as of this time)
- shopify node create
- app name = my-app
- Change directories to your new project folder c:\my-app>
- C:\my-app>shopify node serve
- Everything tested good on development store
- close application
- Deployment method to Heroku in this case is GitHub
- create a new free account on Heroku
- create new node app called my-app
- login to GitHub
- create new repository named my-app in GitHub
- from terminal again in the c:\my-app directory
- my commands use the SSH keys that I setup in GitHub
- git init
- git add .
- git commit -m “first commit”
- git remote add origin email@example.com:my-repository/my-app.git
- git push -u origin master
- now all your app files have been pushed to GitHub repo
- In Heroku under deploy chose connect to GitHub
- connect my-app
- choose branch to deploy master
- enable automatic deploys
- click deploy branch
- Connect app with your Github repo/branch (it may take a minute or two to load)
- Place your SHOPIFY_API_KEY and SHOPIFY_API_SECRET_KEY and SCOPES in your Heroku app’s Config Vars located in Settings.
- Update your Shopify App Urls with your live Heroku app link (https://my-app.herokuapp.com/) and (https://example-app.herokuapp.com/auth/callback)
- Here is the key part you need to use this type of URL to get your app installed and to run = https://my-app.herokuapp.com/auth?shop=yourstorename
Again, it worked for me as soon as I realized that I don’t launch the app from Heroku, you have to either install it from your Shopify Partners Dashboard or using a link similar to this https://my-app.herokuapp.com/auth?shop=yourstorename and you never launch the app from Heroku and everything works just fine. I hope this helps